Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Gosh I hate cravings

I've been craving fried fish (preferably Trout or Whiting..or Ling, which is expensive), homemade macaroni and cheese (my mac & cheese definitely resembles Macaroni Pie, which is still a heavy debate with my WI friends lol), cornbread, greens, and brownies (darn free recipe book lol). I think that's like going to be one of the meals for this weekend, or next week (when I get my refund).

Macaroni and Cheese recipe (I add red pepper and onions sometimes)

Box of your favorite Elbow Macaroni (or small tube pasta)
can of evaporated milk
1/2 stick of butter
1 cube of bouillon (chicken or veggie)
1 to 2 tsp of regular flour
pepper to taste (if you want to fancy it up a notch white pepper)
1 cup of Extra Sharp Cheddar, cubed (I love Richfood's New York Sharp)
1 cup of Sharp Cheddar, grated
1/2 of red pepper, diced (optional)
1/4 of an onion, diced (optional)

Preheat the oven at 375
1) Boil macaroni to package directions (no more than 10 minutes tops) with 1/2 a cube of the bouillon
2) while the pasta is boiling, in a small saute pan, add a couple of pads of butter (no margarine)
3) add your diced pepper and onion, saute until softened..remove
4) add the remaining butter (this is not low-fat lol) in the pan and sprinkle in the flour...we're making a roux here
5)once the roux is a pale color of beige, add your can of milk and remaining bouillon and pepper...then add the Extra Sharp Cheddar..stir until melted, and remove from heat
6) drain macaroni, and then mix into the cheese sauce (I don't know how the spell the French name for it lol)
7) pour into a greased casserole dish
8) top with Sharp Cheddar
9) bake until golden brown on top (about a good 25 minutes)
10) let sit for at least thirty minutes, and serve warm

Enjoy!

I would share the recipe for the brownies, but I just got it today so I have to try it out. Never made homemade brownies, but this recipe seems a lot easier than other recipes I've seen (double boil milk and 30% caco shaved finely dark chocolate at 65 degrees no higher, ummm who does that?? lol).

No comments:

Coupons.com...get your savings on! :-)

Swidget 1.0

wibiya widget