Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I love me some Sunflower oil

Okay so I've been looking for a base oil to use in my conditioners, and in my moisturizing spray (I heart it!). I said I was going to do EVOO for the winter time, but wanted to find an oil that had similar results with a lighter feel. My hair is not a big fan of EV Coconut oil unless it's mixed with something, and I wasn't trying to melt my shea butter to add to my spritz (I did it before just didn't use enough). So, one day when I was over my parents' house I decided to that since I bought the oil to use for my jerk chicken, that maybe I could use it in a shampoo. I thought this prior to me researching, you know thinking that maybe there was some benefit (MUFAs or EFAs). Since it was plant based I didn't think that it would hurt as much, and just poured it in a bottle of Frizz-Free shampoo I didn't like.
I can honestly say that I have found a keeper. It's not as expensive as EVOO and EVCO, but provides just the right amount of moisture. Sunflower oil also has a great amount of Vitamin E, which is wonderful for us curly/natural folks.
Homemade hair conditioner:
Sunflower & Wheatgerm Oil
Mix 1 cup of sunflower oil and 1 cup of wheat germ oil. Warm the mixture and massage it on the head and hair. Wash off with lukewarm water in which one tablespoon of lemon juice has been added.

http://www.hairstyle.com/hair-articles/home-hair-care-tips.htm
One thing I did read that it does not penetrate the hair like coconut oil, but I did notice that my hair did love this.
Ojon’s oil treatment consists of palm oil, fragrance, and a few extracts. It’s particularly interesting because recent research has shown that only SOME oils will actually penetrate the hair. Mineral oil and sunflower oil, for example, will not penetrate. But coconut oil (which is essentially the same as palm oil) will filter deep into the cortex because it is so similar to hair’s natural lipids.
http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/05/24/is-ojon-restorative-treatment-any-good/

Try it for yourself, you might just like it!

No comments:

Coupons.com...get your savings on! :-)

Swidget 1.0

wibiya widget