Sunday, March 29, 2009

Well here's what I made this past Friday

I know I said I tweaked my Rice and Black Beans recipe...here's the main dish that I made as well.

I call it Chicken Enchilada-esque because I really didn't have the time to actually roll them up, lol.
I bought most of my items from Tar-jay, but if you can find them cheaper by all means go for it!

4 chicken thighs (you can cook these forever without worrying if they're be overdone, plus really cheap)
Adobo seasoning, mainly to taste (I use approx. 1 1/2 tlbs)
Chili Powder (again to taste)
Red pepper flakes (1/2 tsp or to taste)
A couple of small pinches of Italian Seasoning
1/2 an onion sliced
2 garlic cloves
olive oil to drizzle in the casserole dish (or roaster pan)
large tortillas
1 can of Red Enchilada Sauce (I got the Red sauce from El Paso)
1 small can of jalapenos (optional, but we like spice in our house lol)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (could use Mexican blend OR Sharp Cheddar), have some put aside to place on the top
salsa to place on top with the cheese (just enough to cover the edges)

1) place the thighs in the pot (dutch oven or stock pot)
2) Fill up a large pot with enough water to cover the chicken
3) add the seasonings (Adobo, Italian Seasoning, Chili Powder, Red Pepper flakes)
4) slice the onion right over the pot, don't even rush
5) smash the garlic cloves, toss those in
6)allow everything to boil for 30 mins. (no need to worry about under cooking because you'll be placing them in the oven)...let cool, skin them and shred them

Pre-heat the oven at 375
Assembling
1) drizzle the oil (or if you're using spray go ahead)
2) lay the tortillas enough to cover the bottom, you can overlap
3) add about 1/2 of the chicken
4) poor 1/3 of the sauce
5) add a handful of the cheese
6) repeat one more time, this time add the entire can of jalapenos
7) add one more layer of tortillas (and whatever sauce you have remaining)
8) pour salsa on top
9) top off with cheese
*this is a lot easier than it looks*
Bake for 25 mins. or until the cheese is melted and slightly golden.
Enjoy! Let me know how it goes!

4 cups of stock (I used stock I made boiling chicken thighs and onions)
2 cans of black beans, rinsed OR you could use a bag of black beans
Adobo, to taste
2 tsp of Chili powder
1/2 cup of salsa
2 cups of long grain rice (not instant rice)
one bag of frozen corn
1/2 a can of coconut water (can be found in the ethnic food section at your grocery store)

1) bring stock to a boil
2) add beans, and allow to cook for 30 mins on medium heat
3) add your seasonings (salsa, Adobo, and Chili Powder), allow to simmer for 10 mins
4) add your rice, and cook that according to the package directions
5) add your bag of frozen corn along with the coconut water
6) simmer for an additional 25 mins. on medium heat
Enjoy! Usually makes about 6-8 servings depends on how you use it (side dish or main dish)
I have some in a big freezer bag right now. I plan to use it to make a "veggie" quesadilla (sp).
I served it alongside some enchilada-esque casserole I made with a little extra cheese on top.
This meal actually cost me about a $5, not including my rice and black beans and corn side dish (that ran me about 4)...so a dinner for three for two days, actually cost me under $10...sweet!

The beans will actually last me forever! Okay, had to share it (it's quoted because I typed it on circle of moms on FB)! I am going to make chili today since I know the casserole won't even last as long as I wanted (we ate off it all day yesterday lol).

No comments:

Coupons.com...get your savings on! :-)

Swidget 1.0

wibiya widget